I’d love to meet the person who comes up with some of these “Facebook Oddities”. Like Throwback Thursday. Or “Make your status post the color of your bra”. The latest seems to be “I’ll send you a number, and you have to list that many things about yourself that other people wouldn’t know about you”.
I never given into these gimmicks, but I’ve been drawing a blank lately when it comes to blog topics. And all the marketing websites tell you to write what you’re passionate about. So I decided to combine the two ideas and see what happens. What could go wrong? (*cough*)
1. I’ve never seen a Hobbit or Lord of the Rings movie. Ever. Couldn’t even tell you what they’re about.
2. I like cats more than people. Not to say I don’t like people. I do. Most people. But cats don’t talk behind your back. Cats don’t get jealous. You don’t have to try to “read” a cat; if it’s happy you’ll know it and if it’s unhappy you’ll know that too. No guess work involved. Cats don’t have ulterior motives. Cats either want your attention – all of it – or they want to be left alone. Cats love you no matter how much you weigh, if you smell bad, if you made a mistake, and they even love you when it seems like no one else in the world does. Top THAT humans!
3. It annoys me to no end when I walk into a department store and see a brand of cosmetics on the shelf marketing itself as ‘green’ and ‘natural’ when it’s anything but. Leaf shaped mascara containers, green packaging, buzz words on labels, but then you read the ingredients and need a degree in biochemistry just to get through it. I get angry at the deception. People who don’t know any better may actually believe this stuff is better for them. How unfair! But these guys have more money than I’ll ever dream of seeing, so they get the shelf space. And all I can do is keep fighting.
4. I’m girlie and I’m not. I love to try on gorgeous evening gowns, but then I’ll go outside later with my chainsaw and clear the woods of dead trees. I LOVE makeup but on a summer weekend you’ll find me sweating in my garden with dirt under my nails and looking like something that had been raised in the wild by wolves. I can’t bear to watch gory or sad things on TV, but I have a license to carry and am a pretty good shot with a 9 mm. I’ll hang drywall, lay hardwood flooring, repair a toilet and then go get my nails done. I will not be defined.
5. I’m not fond of the holidays. Only because I’m tired of the world telling me what my life should be like that time of year. I should be wearing an apron and pulling a turkey the size of Kansas out of my oven feeding a perfect loving family of 16. My house should be spotless and brimming with holiday décor. There should be a mommy and a daddy and 2.5 children and grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and cousins and babies. And everyone should be happy. Well guess what main stream media, most of the world isn’t like that! And the more you try to cram it down my throat, the more I will rebel against it. It makes me want to live on an island somewhere in the tropics for the months of November and December.
6. I believe it is each person’s mission to somehow leave this world a better place. Whether you’re Einstein and come up with that whole theory of relativity thing, or you’re Mrs. Jones down the street who created a neighborhood garden to help feed her community. We’ve been given the gift of life. And I think we owe it to the world to somehow leave it a little bit better because we were here.
7. I’m a control freak. I’m a clean freak. I’ll cry over a cartoon if it’s sad, but I’ll never cry in front of anyone. I like tomatoes but only if they’re hot (sauce, soup, bruschetta); raw cold tomatoes make me gag. I’ve never been happy with my body weight, ever. I would do anything to save or protect an animal. I don’t kill spiders. I catch them and release them outside because I think it’s wrong to kill them just because they look kinda creepy. I’ve never eaten Brussels sprouts. I am fiercely independent. I am honest to a fault. I hate seafood. My favorite holidays are Valentine’s Day and Halloween. I believe that everyone is responsible for their own actions, and our lives are the results of the choices we make. I believe you can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. I believe everyone has a purpose. And I don’t think I’ve figured mine out yet.